At the St. Petersburg Internet Conference on May 31, speakers and viewers shared non-standard methods of increasing the effectiveness of contextual advertising. The experts were specialists from eLama, Lira bureau, Realweb and CubeLine. Then the audience from the audience joined the discussion.
As in the previous year, each feature was evaluated according to two criteria: novelty and practical usefulness. First, let’s list the chips that met both criteria.
New and useful features
- First tip for Google Ads campaigns. Nikita Kravchenko recommends create a segment for an audience of users who have already made a purchase on the site. Then we launch search advertising on this segment with a special offer at the request of competitors. Thus, the user, even if he is looking for offers from competitors, sees our ads and is most likely to return, since he has already bought from us.
- Boris Anikeev offers an interesting way to improve the effectiveness of advertising in the display network. We add to the observation all audience targetings and special audiences that we want to test. We monitor the effectiveness of audiences and then launch ads on the display network for the most effective ones.
- One more piece of advice from Boris Anikeev. If you run ads all over Russia, use google modifier to auto-substitute city from the feed to the ad title. Set the declension of cities in the feed so that they are substituted in the correct grammatical form.
- You’ve probably heard that emoji can be added to the title of ads on Google. But in this case, they are displayed in black and white. To color emoji in ads, add them to your display URL, advises Artem Akulov. This will make your ad look brighter and more visible.
- Dynamic search ads (DSA) in Google are traditionally used in e-commerce for large online stores with many product cards. Vadim Smirnov suggests test DSA for other topics, for example, for the service industry. The method will work if three conditions are met: the hierarchical structure of the site, a large amount of text on the site and the presence of the site in the Google index. Read the result of this approach in his material.
- To get a good CPA from YAN, try the following method. In Metric, create segment by users who have made a conversion, then create a segment by interests of them, and then a segment similar to them (Look-alike) and launch advertising in YAN… CPA is slightly higher than remarketing campaigns.
- Life hack for advertising in Yandex.Direct. Take semantics from a search campaign and run a banner on a search using it. Upon request, a user will simultaneously see both a banner and a text ad in the search results. This will make your ads more visible and increase the CTR of search ads.
- For those who want to show ads to users visiting a specific site (for example, a competitor’s site), Nikita Kravchenko offers the following strategy. On VKontakte, we launch ads to users who have logged in on competitors’ websites. How to do this, Nikita Kravchenko tells in the video. Ads should be flashy, attention-grabbing, not necessarily conversions. With the help of analytics systems, we find users who clicked on this advertisement, and we launch contextual advertising on them. If some of the users converted from ads “VKontakte “, create a segment and exclude impressions for it.
- By creating remarketing audiences, professionals exclude users who, because of their behavior on the site, seem inappropriate, although many of these users can actually be potentially useful. Therefore, when creating segments to exclude, focus on the number of sessions, not the bounce rate. Exclude only those users who have visited the site no more than once and left it immediately.
- Advice on reducing low-quality traffic from YAN. Create in Audiences a segment of users who moved from low-quality sites to YAN. For this segment, create a Look-alike segment in the audiences and set a -100% adjustment on it… Konstantin Naychukov warns that campaign coverage may slightly decrease.
- If traffic on Google Ads for branded campaigns suddenly increased in price, Use a Target Impression Percentage strategy for these campaigns to get your ads at the very top of the SERP. This helps to fight squeezing competitors. The strategy has been in operation since November 2018.
- Looking for new display media targeting? Use the Options tab in Google Ads. Here are the targetings that the system picked up by analyzing running campaigns.
If you have reached the limit on negative keywords in Yandex.Direct, then it’s time to update it. Download a report on search queries over a long period of time and use it to rework the list of keywords. First of all, add the following queries to the negative keywords:
- those on which there were clicks, but there were no conversions;
- requests with a lot of impressions, but no clicks.
Also, take a close look at the list and get rid of duplicate keywords. Do not remove words added during the campaign build phase.
Other life hacks
- To bypass Google’s restriction for downloading data from CRM, please specify your old account when contacting support. It is important that at least $ 50,000 is spent on it. As a reminder, in November 2018, Google updated the rules for using email address lists for targeting. The feature is available on accounts of advertisers who have followed the advertising and payment rules, have used Google Ads features for at least 90 days, and have spent at least $ 50,000.
- Vadim Smirnov suggests testing script that automatically stops campaigns during the holiday period. Useful for advertisers whose call center and sales staff do not work on holidays. The script saves a specialist the time he would spend on manually stopping campaigns.
- A life hack for those who start working in the CCM and are looking for quality sites. If the advertised site is not new, but has existed for some time, see the report on referral traffic in Google Analytics. Add the sites from where the most visitors come to the list of ad platforms on the Display Network.
- Another trick for finding sites from Konstantin Naychukov. He recommends parse the top organic SERPs for relevant semantics and try to be placed on these sites.
- Use combined match types to broaden the semantics of Google Ads. However, keep in mind that this feature works better in English, in Russian the expansion may not occur.
- Using geographic targeting Create audiences based on competitor locations and exclude impressions for them. This will reduce the number of inappropriate impressions, increase the CTR and lower the CPC.
- To correctly make a cross-minus one, Add annoying words (buy, price, order, etc.) to negative keywords at the campaign level. The recommendation works only for ads in Yandex.Direct (negative keywords will be ignored if they are included in the keyword).
- To reduce mobile traffic in Yandex.Direct we find in the Metric of users who have entered the site from a mobile device, create a segment, and use it to look-alike and set an adjustment of -100%. However, tests show that in this method they forgot that segments in Audiences are created by CryptID. If you cut off someone, then immediately on all devices.
Read tips from experts from other conferences:
Subscribe to receive useful paid traffic content