Many hotels and resorts create websites to promote services on the Internet. If the site is new, it will take three to six months for it to reach the top of the search engines. Even if it is filled with quality content with the right keywords, it will take months of painstaking SEO promotion. Contextual advertising comes to the rescue, with the help of which you can attract the target audience and get instant results. But how to choose the best tools that will work out every penny invested? Let’s figure it out.
Search advertising is a classic of the genre
One of the most popular promotion tools is search advertising in Yandex.Direct and Google Ads. Search advertising has the following benefits:
- The ads match the user’s request, so the first conversions can be received immediately after the campaign is launched.
- Contextual advertising allows you to correctly plan your budget, clearly control costs and independently assign the cost of clicks.
- You can adapt ads for mobile devices, which is especially important for working with millennials, who practically never let go of their smartphones.
- Geographic targeting allows you to select the most relevant audience for hotel advertising. You can target tourists or people who make business trips and are interested in certain services in the area of train stations and airports.
Search engine advertising allows you to clearly target hot target audiences. Of course, the target audience for each hotel is different, and in order to get into the audience of interested users, you need to know the hotel well and the features of promoting hotel topics in context. For example, we place very high demands on the grouping and segmentation of queries. We divide all the keys by subject (general, “rest with children”, “all inclusive”, “economy” and others), select keywords in detail, select the most targeted queries with a frequency of up to 5-10 impressions per month. Grouping requests makes it easier to manage bids, measure conversions, and measure landing page performance.
Search ads for all types of hotels consume up to 90% of the total budget:
- tourist hotels located near the sea (Krasnodar Territory) spend from 70 to 130 thousand rubles a month during the season;
- hotels near Moscow and the Golden Ring of Russia – from 40 to 100 thousand rubles per month;
- for business hotels in megalopolises (Moscow and St. Petersburg), the budget varies from 30 to 80 thousand rubles per month.
Banner advertising in networks is a worthy alternative to search
This is a great way to attract the attention of a potential client using static and animated banners placed on the following networks: KMS in Google Ads and YAN in Yandex.Direct. Display advertising in the hotel industry solves a number of important tasks:
- increases awareness of the audience about the service, the hotel level, even without clicking on the link
- increases brand awareness, which is important when promoting hotel chains;
- attracts traffic to the site, which increases the position of important pages in the search;
- increases the reputation in the eyes of the client, especially when placing banners on thematic resources.
But what about the banner blindness of users that marketers scare so much? This factor should not be written off and, in order to minimize it, it is necessary to accurately determine the target audience and correctly set up display advertising. As a result, you can get excellent low-cost traffic compared to other types of advertising and high conversion rates.
To increase the effectiveness of advertising, it is necessary to correctly approach the choice of advertising materials: to the image and the text. We always recommend using the hotel’s own quality images. In the text it is obligatory to indicate the name of the hotel, the city, the price for the room and several important advantages.
For banner advertising, we also divide traffic by the type of users who will see these banners, write our own advertising texts for each category of guests and add the corresponding images. For the category of recreation with children, images with children in the pool and a description of services for families with children will be appropriate. For the all-inclusive category – a list of hotel services and facts confirming the high level of relaxation.
The budget for Google and Yandex is approximately the same and amounts to:
- 15,000 – 30,000 rubles per season for sanatoriums and tourist hotels;
- 5,000 – 20,000 rubles for hotels in the Golden Ring.
Remarketing and retargeting are effective customer return technologies
If a customer has taken any action on your website or just viewed a page, remind them of yourself using Ads remarketing and Direct retargeting. You can catch up with the client on the sites that he visits, in the mailbox, social networks and even on the YouTube channel.
When setting up remarketing, you must specify the period during which the ad will be shown to the user:
- for a business hotel, the pursuit period is no more than seven days;
- for a tourist hotel or sanatorium – two to three weeks.
For effective retargeting, we recommend setting up targeting not to all site visitors, but to individual segments. The segment should include users whose visits were not included in the number of refusals. It is better to place information about a short-term promotion in ads and write a call to call or make a reservation right now.
The share of remarketing costs does not exceed 10% of the total advertising budget.
Mapping sites – easy acquisition of loyal customers
If you have correctly filled in cards on Yandex.Maps, Google Maps and 2GIS, it will be easier for a potential client to assess whether your hotel is right for him. The user immediately sees the location, photos, the route by which you can get to the hotel, and real feedback on the quality of services. As a result, you get targeted clients for free. However, for hotels and spa complexes, it makes sense to advance for a fee during the season.
Map services are in demand in both computer browsers and smartphone applications, making them an indispensable tool for online advertising. Traffic and channel performance depend on the popularity of the destination and the advertiser’s brand awareness.
As for the optimal monthly budget in Yandex.Maps, the situation looks like this:
- for Moscow – 15,600 rubles;
- for St. Petersburg – 9 600 rubles;
- for regions – 7,200 rubles.
There is no way to pay for placement on Google maps, but when you launch ads in Ads, ads are turned on on maps as well.
Social media is the best option for tourist hotels
Advertising in social networks is focused on a client who is ready for a spontaneous decision. The main audience is tourists and people planning a vacation in a sanatorium. Unlike paid search, social media advertising has the following features:
- The cost of a transition in social networks is usually lower than in Direct or Google Ads.
- With the help of advertising on social networks, you can promote a group or a public page of a company, as well as drive traffic directly to the official website.
- Thanks to likes, reposts and user comments, it is possible to increase the effectiveness of advertising without financial investment.
The optimal platforms for promoting tourist hotels are Facebook and Instagram, where the maximum number of representatives of the target audience is located. “Odnoklassniki” and “VKontakte” are in less demand among hotels, since the coverage and conversion from these sites is much lower. Nevertheless, for some services, these social networks are simply irreplaceable, for example, to promote wedding themes. A well-planned post and advertising in post format with a button allows you to receive leads and convert them into sales.
Here you can display ads in the user’s feed or in the news in the form of posts, promotional banners, prize draws. Depending on the financial capabilities of the hotel, you can offer a spa trip for two or a romantic weekend as a gift. As with banner ads, creatives are very important in social media. On social networks, they burn out pretty quickly and need to be updated. We recommend changing creatives every 1-2 weeks.
YouTube advertising – showing ads in videos
Such ads are configured in Google Ads, shown not only on YouTube, but also on third-party resources with embedded videos. Video advertising is not suitable for direct sales, but it can increase brand awareness, show the client the unique services provided only in your hotel, and get potential customers.
As a rule, tourist hotels shoot short videos, lasting up to 30 seconds, in which they show the hotel, swimming pools, frolicking children, the sea, the beach and the reception with smiling staff.
The average budget for two to three weeks for the hotel business is from 50,000 rubles.
Yandex.Audience – a new tool for contextual advertising
In Yandex. Audiences, you can create segments based on customer data (phone numbers, mobile device IDs, and email addresses) or similar audiences. The tool allows you to enable advertising on Yandex partner sites or in the mailbox of users who are registered in the hotel database. Suitable for hotels aimed at business travelers and business travelers, as well as for hotels with a large base of regular customers. As a rule, it is used to generate loyalty and repeat sales, as well as stimulate the subscription to hotel news, for guests who have already rested at the hotel and do not mind returning again.
We have reviewed the most popular PPC advertising tools for the hotel and resort business. There is no panacea in this case. Only a thorough analysis of the effectiveness of various types of advertising and consumer reaction to them will increase the reach of the audience and attract new hotel guests without huge costs.