In 2020, connecting modern digital technologies has become a necessity for brands. There are more and more platforms available, and the complexity of tasks is growing, so it becomes almost impossible to manually manage paid advertising campaigns.
PPC automation is the use of technology, artificial intelligence, and machine learning to optimize search engine advertising campaigns.
Let’s take a closer look at the PPC automation algorithm, which consists of the following steps:
- Definition of the problem.
- Search for tools.
Defining the problem
It is important to clearly understand what process you are going to optimize and what result you expect to get.
PPC automation is not a goal, but a tool to solve a problem.
Here are some examples:
- It is necessary that ad campaign, ad group, ad or keyword was turned off / on at a particular moment, for example, on Sunday at 00-05, when it is not possible to do it manually. The auto rule will help with this.
- Needed every weekend lower or increase advertising budgets, and on Monday morning, return everything to its original state. This feature is used when business performance is lower on weekends (for example, the call center accepts calls only on weekdays). The auto rule will easily make the necessary changes to the account.
- Need to receive notifications the site’s performance, account balances, or the performance of certain advertising campaigns. Scripts will help with this. Some are freely available on the Internet, while others need to be compiled independently or purchased from developers.
- It is necessary adjust rates, to hold a certain position in the auction by raising or lowering the cost per click. In this case, there are several solutions:
- bid managers – paid third-party systems that monitor changes in the auction and make the required changes every 15-30 minutes;
- scripts – work according to a given algorithm and make changes every hour;
- auto-rules – they also work according to a given algorithm and make changes every day.
The described options differ only in the rate of updating rates, it remains to decide whether you are ready to pay to third-party systems or the capabilities of ready-made scripts and auto-rules will be enough.
Tools for solving the tasks of automating contextual advertising:
- Bid managers – services for automatic bid management in contextual advertising. Such a system monitors changes in the auction for specified keywords and adjusts the bid.
- AutoRules Is an internal Google Ads tool that solves tasks like changing the status of an ad, the size of the budget, increasing or decreasing bids for specified conditions.
- Feeds in business data… They can be used to automate Google Ads extensions. For example, the “Prices” extension can automatically pull the price from the feed, so the data in the extension will always be up-to-date.
Basic tasks of setting up contextual advertising can be solved using auto-rules – it’s quick, easy and, most importantly, free.
If the automatic rules fail, we use scripts that help to implement almost any automation ideas. And you don’t have to learn JS – there are many useful scripts in the public domain, and here are the 100 best scripts for solving basic automation tasks. It is better to contact the developers to solve specific problems.
Most ad management services automate not only the auction, but also other processes in context or reporting. The most popular bid managers are K50, Alytics, Instaon, Cobiro, Revealbot, Adstage, Bluewinstion, eLama, Optmyzr.
The benefits of automation
The number of tools in contextual advertising is growing every month, and in order to be able to efficiently and quickly complete your tasks, it is necessary to transfer part of the work to algorithms.
Thanks to the use of automation, you don’t have to keep in mind hundreds of tasks that require regular monitoring. The current price and information in ads, auto-start and stop of advertising materials, the required positions in the auction, notifications of deviations from the norm of the main indicators, auto-generation of advertising campaigns – this is just a small part of the tasks that context automation helps to effectively solve.
Another advantage of automation is the elimination of the “human factor”. Each of us can make a mistake, sometimes be inattentive or forgetful, which is not typical of program codes. Spending time on optimizing repetitive actions once, you will significantly save resources and in the future you will only control the quality of work.
Can technology replace the specialist in 2020?
Automation in contextual advertising opens up new business opportunities – day-to-day technical work is delegated to programs, and a specialist focuses on more important strategic tasks. Such an approach in 2020 will help optimize promotion in context and, as a result, increase sales.
It’s like an autopilot in an airplane: it is able to follow an already set course, but in emergencies, the pilot takes over.
Today, effective automation in PPC is still not possible without specialist competence. An algorithm cannot completely replace a person, a program code is not able to see the “big picture” and, on the basis of scattered information, make a strategic decision for a specific task. So far, not a single, even the most thoughtful, algorithm is capable of this.
Subscribe to receive useful paid traffic content