In all advertising systems, ads must be moderated before being displayed. Today we will tell you about the peculiarities of moderation in Yandex.Direct: how to get through it, how long the check takes, and what to do if the ad is rejected.
What is moderation for?
Ads are checked to prevent the distribution of low-quality ads: with inaccurate information, offensive content, incorrect targeting, etc. Moderation is also needed so that ads of prohibited goods and services do not get into the network.
Moderation gives advertisers the ability to post better, more relevant and effective ads. In case of rejection, Yandex sends a letter to the advertiser’s mail. It indicates that the ad was disapproved, and also provides a link to a section of the interface where you can see the reasons for the rejection. By correcting errors, the advertiser will not only be able to show the ad to users, but will also increase its quality, which means that the likelihood of achieving the goal will also increase.
Features of moderation in Yandex.Direct
In Yandex, ads are checked automatically, but in some cases they can be sent for verification to real people. At the initial stage, bots look for the simplest and most obvious mistakes in the text and headings of ads (typos, the use of capital letters, spacing, etc.).
In cases where there are too many errors, the bot rejects all ads from the campaign, even those with no violations. If the error rate is low, then high-quality ads will be allowed to serve, and ads with violations will be rejected.
The bot also monitors ads with limited advertising (more on that later). If the advertiser has not attached the relevant documents, a letter will be sent to him with a request to provide them. After the advertiser submits the necessary documents, moderation will continue.
If during automatic moderation the system suspects a violation, the ad will be sent for moderation to real people. There he will be checked more thoroughly.
How long does the moderation last?
It usually takes several hours to moderate your ads. But in some cases it takes longer.
- Moderation staff do not work around the clock. The service is open seven days a week from 9:00 to 24:00 Moscow time. Therefore, if you send ads for verification at night, they will be watched only in the morning.
- If the campaign contains more than 100 ads, then the checkout time will increase.
- Moderation may take longer on weekends.
In rare cases, an ad may be allowed to run immediately, without automatic or manual moderation. But this ad will in any case be checked later within three days and will be suspended if violations are found.
Subjects subject to special rules and restrictions
There are categories of goods and services, advertising of which is prohibited on the Internet. Here is some of them:
- narcotic and psychotropic substances;
- alcoholic beverages;
- ad blockers;
- sites with malicious content or doorways;
- financial pyramids.
For a complete list of prohibited topics, see Yandex Help. Ads related to these topics are always rejected.
In addition to them, there are topics on which advertising is not prohibited, but certain rules established by the legislation and Yandex advertising policy must be observed. Among them there are the following categories:
- medicine and pharmaceuticals;
- health and beauty;
- sports nutrition;
- children food;
- Financial services;
- services in the real estate market;
- Passenger Transportation;
First of all, you need to provide a package of documents. It may contain, depending on the subject matter:
- copies of permitting documents (warranty certificates, licenses) and a letter of guarantee;
- only a letter of guarantee;
- only copies of permitting documents.
To find out which documents are required, you need to go to Yandex Help and find your subject in the list. There will be a detailed description of the requirements for documents and the design of a letter of guarantee. The general rules for drawing up a letter of guarantee are as follows:
- the letter was drawn up on behalf of the payer;
- the letter template matches the subject;
- all pages are numbered and each has a signature;
- date stamped.
If you have one account with multiple campaigns on the same topic with one domain, you send the batch of documents only once. It will be valid for all campaigns on this topic. In the event that you restart the campaign from another account or change the domain, you will need to send the documents again.
There are many topics with complex moderation, and each has its own requirements for advertising design. For example, in medical topics, behavioral targeting and retargeting are prohibited for ethical reasons. For image ads promoting baby food, you need to add age restrictions and warnings to the creative, such as “Please consult with a professional. For feeding children from 12 months. ” Alerts are automatically added to text ads.
General requirements for the site and the preparation of ads
These requirements apply to any advertisement, regardless of subject matter. Let’s list them:
- The exact designation of the advertised object. It is necessary to clearly indicate what exactly you are advertising (educational course, beauty salon, etc.), and not just write general phrases in the text and promise an excellent result.
- Words in the superlative or comparative degree (the best, better than the competitors, etc.) can only be used in the ad if the moderator finds their independent confirmation on the site (research, polls).
- Ads that advertise news sites must contain an indication that this is an information site: the words and phrases “Read”, “Find out more”, etc.
- The landing page specified in the ad is relevant to the text.
- Landing page ads take up no more than half of the first screen.
- The ad contains a warning if it leads to a page in a foreign language.
- The domain of the quick link is the same as the domain of the main link. The exception is links to a profile in social networks.
- If there are several links (for example, when there are quick links in the ad), they should lead to different pages of the site or to different parts of the page if the site is one-page.
- Quick links cannot duplicate each other and the main link.
- The text of the displayed link corresponds to the content of the ad and does not contain transliterated words.
- If a virtual business card is added to the ad, it must contain a contact phone number.
- In the case of selling goods only remotely, the advertiser indicates the name of the organization, OGRN and OGRNIP.
- Added warnings and age restrictions to image ads.
Why the ad can be rejected:
- use of slang, rude and colloquial expressions in the text and headings;
- inaccurate information in the ad;
- aggression, calls for cruelty and violence;
- frequent repetitions of the same words and phrases;
- adding the advertiser’s contact information to the ad text, and not to the virtual business card;
- words and phrases in a foreign language without translation, except for brand names;
- indication of prices in foreign currency;
- the use of words and phrases of tragic themes: death, doom, murder, etc .;
- typos, grammatical and spelling mistakes in the text;
- use of discharge – spaces between letters in a word;
- formatting the text in capital letters, except for the generally accepted abbreviations: GOST, IP, etc .;
- the page to which the ad leads is irrelevant to the advertising text, is displayed incorrectly on any devices or browsers, collects information about the user by fraudulent means, contains malicious content, redirects to third-party resources, pop-ups or pop-unders (forms of return are allowed communication).
- using only general key phrases without specifying a specific product or service;
- goods and services for adults are advertised inappropriately.
A few tips for getting through moderation
- If you have a large campaign (more than 100 ads), submit it for moderation in parts. This will shorten the review time and make it easier to find the error if automatic moderation rejects all ads submitted at one time.
- When you create a new version of an existing ad and submit it to moderators, the old version continues to run. You can turn off impressions while the new version is being moderated, but do not forget to turn them on when the new ad is reviewed, otherwise it will not be shown.
- Indicate the correct phone number and working hours in the virtual business card. A Yandex employee will call the number indicated in the business card, and if he cannot contact you, he will reject the ad.
- Keep track of the validity period of supporting documents: certificates, licenses, etc. To ensure that the impressions do not stop, after the expiration of the validity period of the documents, send the current package again.
- If a user, when clicking on an ad, lands on a page where his data is collected, he must be notified of this and agree to the transfer of data. If the page does not contain information about this and the button, by clicking on which the user agrees to the processing of data, the ad may be rejected.
What to do if your ad is declined
The advertiser receives an email in which he is notified that the ad has been rejected. The ad will also display the status “Rejected by the moderator” in the Yandex.Direct interface. What to do next:
- In the announcement itself, Yandex notes errors and writes recommendations for correcting them. To view them, open the disapproved ad in the Yandex.Direct interface and click the “How to fix” link.
- Make sure that all ad elements comply with the Yandex advertising policy requirements. Try to slightly revise the text and headings and re-submit for moderation.
- If Direct repeatedly rejects ads, you can try to create a campaign from a new account or redesign it through Excel and download it again.
- The most reliable way is to contact Yandex technical support or a personal manager, if you have one.
You can contact technical support immediately after the first rejection if you have any questions about passing moderation. This way you will receive prompt instructions on how to fix your ads, be able to submit them for a second check and start showing.