In a highly competitive environment, it is difficult to imagine the successful promotion of an Internet business without competent settings for analytics and contextual advertising. In the right hands, these tools increase income.
In 2019, the bookstore chain “House of Books” and “Kniga +” launched the sale of their products through the site. In the second half of the year, the MediaNation team started promoting the online store. During a month of testing advertising campaigns, we managed to reduce the cost of placing one order by 25 times and increase the number of sales by 1.5 times.
Where to begin?
Before planning an advertising campaign, we audited the analytics system settings. He helped identify flaws that would be inappropriate to ignore. Therefore, they decided to postpone the launch of advertising.
We found that important tools were missing:
- source of organic traffic;
- tracking e-commerce;
- advanced e-commerce codes;
- tracking 404 error pages;
- mandatory user parameters ClientID, Session ID, UserID;
- import of expenses from Yandex.Direct;
- incorrect setting of existing goals;
- calculated indicators, for example, KPI (sum of goals), CPO KPI, CR KPI;
- site failure notifications;
- incorrect location of the Google Tag Manager tracking code.
Without these points, it is impossible to get a complete picture of the site and audience data. Therefore, cooperation with the online bookstore began with the optimization of the analytics system.
We build the collection of data about the audience and website performance
After an audit on the client’s website and in analytical systems, we configured:
- Google Tag Manager: installed analytics system codes, started transferring e-commerce, track user events, clicks on certain site elements, and form submissions.
- Major search engines in the region in order to receive organic traffic and more correctly evaluate the effect of a search proposal.
- Filters by office IP addresses to get clean client data in the analytics system.
- The main conversion and retargeting goals: for each user action on the sales funnel, their login and registration, as well as micro conversions.
- Alerts to notify the account manager about the lack of access to the site, its “crash”, as well as a critical drop in business performance.
- Importing cost data into Google Analytics. It is needed for the correct analysis of the distribution of the marketing budget for advertising campaigns and sites in one interface.
- Generate automated reports on KPIs, ecommerce, site visitor data, search traffic, paid traffic, and traffic sources.
- Sets of automated reports based on Google Analytics data – for evaluating the results of advertising campaigns in Data Studio.
Let’s start advertising
The next task is to find out how the contextual advertising of the online store worked before the start of our cooperation. It turned out that practically nothing! Since the launch of online sales, ad placement has been sporadic, and only in-network campaigns have been used. Moreover, the CPO in June and July was over 3200 rubles.
We had two main goals for August:
- Get a CPO of no more than 476 rubles.
- Test new advertising platforms and determine the most effective ones.
Implementation time is one month. During this time, we had to launch and optimize advertising channels and campaigns, achieve a CPO reduction of at least 6.5 times with a budget of 100,000 rubles and create an account structure convenient for further development and scaling.
Selection of promotion tools
We planned to launch several campaigns and track which one performs the best. The entire audience was divided according to the levels of the sales funnel, and the appropriate promotion tools and tactics were selected for each group.
Loyal to the brand of another bookstore, but have a negative experience with it or are looking for cheaper options
Search and network campaigns by major competitors (abandoned prior to launch to focus budget on more effective campaigns).
Are interested in a particular genre or category and are looking for something to read
- Search and network campaigns for books and genres (refused before launch due to low efficiency in comparison with other campaigns).
- General inquiries (for example, “order a book”).
- A seasonal campaign with goods for school.
Looking for a specific book
- Search Campaign by Range: Dynamic Search Ads (DSA), K50 generator campaigns (refused before launch due to tight deadlines, and K50 requires a scrupulous study of the logic for generating ads and keys)…
- Shopping campaigns on Google Ads.
- Placement of goods in Yandex.Market.
- Smart banners in Yandex.Direct and dynamic remarketing in Google Ads targeting an audience that is interested in products similar to those on the client’s website.
Loyal to the bookstore brand
- Search advertising for a book brand.
- Network campaign for users who were interested in the brand (refused before launch, due to the fact that such a campaign attracts cold and less active traffic).
- Remarketing to those who started checkout but did not complete it for any reason.
- Smart banners in Yandex.Direct and dynamic remarketing in Google Ads targeting those who started checkout, but didn’t complete it for any reason.
After the start of campaigns and the accumulation of primary statistics, we optimized advertising campaigns and redistributed the budget between campaigns in favor of those that give more transactions and show an acceptable CPO.
In addition, the results of the statistics indicated the need to filter search queries. We’ve increased the list of negative keywords, disabled ineffective keywords, and adjusted ads.
The most effective advertising was brought by the requests of the book brand. The ROI of this campaign was 1966% with the lowest CPO for the entire promotion. Approximately the same good results were obtained by two campaigns: remarketing and search for general queries.
For a month of advertising testing, we managed to reduce the cost of filling out each application by more than 25 times and bring the CPO to 124 rubles. At the same time, potentially income and transactions in the subsequent months of placement can grow up to 1.5 times.
With limited time and money resources, we coped with our task. Next, we continue to place ads, work on other channels and develop the brand.
When working with a bookstore, it is important to choose the right channels and promotion tools at each stage of the sales funnel.
It is logical to search for the most loyal audience according to the brand requests of the bookstore.
The hottest audience with a formed intention to buy a book in an online store can be found in Yandex.Market and by requests for specific books or books by specific authors, as well as using smart banners.
You will find an audience that is interested in book topics by general book queries and queries about genres, on social networks.
The coldest audience – people who have not yet thought about buying books, but who generally like to read – can be found on the networks on thematic platforms, on YouTube and on social networks.
And finally, you can try to recapture some of the audience from your competitors by showing your advantages. For this, search and network campaigns on competitors, YouTube and social networks are suitable.
The main thing is not to set impossible goals in front of the tools and not expect that from campaigns to competitors you will get the same results as from advertising to an audience with generated demand. Or that YouTube ads will bring in the same CPO as search campaigns.
Starting to work with an online bookstore:
think over a clear strategy and structure of interaction, form the architecture of advertising accounts;
Implement channels gradually: starting with those that attract the hottest traffic, gradually moving to colder ones;
work on the quality of campaigns and tools, optimize them.
Subscribe to receive useful paid traffic content