Turning off or not turning off advertising during the holiday period is another management decision that stands alongside a New Year’s corporate party, congratulating customers and partners and organizing a work schedule during the holidays.
The advertiser chooses between two risks:
- It is useless to waste the advertising budget, because the company is on vacation and there is no one to timely respond to a client’s request or appeal.
- Disable advertising and … miss possible orders, if the probability of demand still remains, albeit small.
Which decision will be correct in this situation? It primarily depends on your internal business processes. Including the feasibility of financial and time costs during the New Year holidays. You need to ask yourself the following questions:
- What is the likelihood that customers will need your services and want to contact you?
- Do customers have the opportunity to wait until the end of the holidays – for example, leave a request on the website and receive a notification in response that they will be contacted on the first working day? After all, if there is no such opportunity, and the client needs to make a purchase right away, he will prefer to go to competitors who will be available during the holidays.
- How expensive is it to organize shifts of several employees on holidays? And what about the watch on the phone?
- Is it advisable to shorten your vacation and go to work earlier?
You can answer these questions based on the experience of the previous New Year holidays. The second option is to try to change something, measure and evaluate the result. For example, if you didn’t work on the holidays last year, try working this one, arranging shifts, or getting out of vacation a little earlier.
What to do with ads
With regard to advertising, the solution is quite simple. The goods and services of the b2c sector, as a rule, remain in demand. Food delivery, restaurants, children’s parties, entertainment centers operate in high demand and advertising is not stopped.
Medical centers, beauty salons, shopping centers and shops, if they are interrupted for the holidays, are not for long. You should not stop advertising, and it will be useful to supplement advertisements and banners on the site with information that you have been open, for example, already from the third of January.
Organizations operating in the international market are forced to take into account the working hours of foreign partners and make a decision: to work synchronously with them or to have a rest, having warned in advance about their work schedule. But the majority of b2b-segment players only in the Russian market, as a rule, finish their productive work at the same time as the quarter closes – in the last week of December. And they go to work according to the production calendar.
In both the first and second cases, disabling advertising remains at the discretion of the employee responsible for advertising and marketing. There are two options here:
- If you know for sure that all employees of the organization will rest until the end of the official holidays, feel free to turn off and turn on again a day or two before going to work.
- If you have the opportunity to organize a duty at least by mail and phone, leave the advertising campaign in working order. The company’s ads will continue to appear on the Internet.
The number of clicks during the New Year holidays drops by two to three times. This means that the consumption of the advertising budget is proportionally reduced. The volume of traffic on requests in b2b-topics during the New Year holidays is similar to the indicators on weekends – this makes advertising campaigns in the business-to-business segment significantly different from those in which individuals act as clients. Demand in the b2b segment begins to decline from the beginning to mid-December and recovers to its previous level only by the end of January.
But here’s what is significant: the number of conversions is decreasing, but it is not zero, which means that you have the likelihood of conversion or delayed conversion. Plus, if you leave your campaigns running, you’ll have an edge over competitors who turn off ads during the holidays.
We have successful examples when companies from the b2b segment did not turn off advertising and remained in the black. Even when the company’s office was not working, on New Year’s holidays, users went to the site, left applications and were ready to wait for the end of the official weekend. It is not necessary to rework campaigns during the holiday period, it only makes sense if you need to add information about New Year’s promotions, offers, or information about the specifics of working during the holidays.
What measures needs to be taken by the company before the New Year holidays:
- Record an auto-answer on your phone with information about the company’s work schedule during the holidays and the first working day.
- Submit information on the website about the company’s working hours. The ad should be visible to everyone who visits your site.
- Check the application forms on the website, set up an auto-reply with information when the company’s employees will contact the client and answer his request.
Subscribe to receive useful paid traffic content